[rc5] Best setup for infrequent dial-up connection

James Mastros root at jennifer-unix.dyn.ml.org
Sun Oct 26 20:46:26 EST 1997

(note: trying new mailer.  Tell me if there is somthing funky with this
message)

On Sun, Oct 26, 1997 at 08:21:51PM -0500, Chris Arguin wrote:
> On Sun, 26 Oct 1997, James Mastros wrote:
>
> > Somthing along these lines that I don't think would be all that bad a thing:
> > Make that java version of the client.  Have it display a message ("RC5: You
> > are cracking it right now: ##### thousand keys, and counting").  Yes, it
> > will be slow as honey at 20 below.  But it will pique peoples interest.  On
> > click, have it go to a page with simple directions for the correct platform
> > (Guess bassed on the browser.  I don't think any current browser dissalows
> > testing what JVM its running under.  In any case, if you can't tell, give a
> > menu.)  (BTW - have it crunch random keys, so we don't get sombody who is
> > only there for 5 seconds checking out whole blocks.).
>
> This is an interesting concept. I'd reserve a block at a time for all of
> the clients, and give keys from those blocks.
I'm not shure how much that involves changing the current model for the
keyservers (or, for that matther, the v3 plan).

> Have the program, at
> request, figure out which client is best for their platform (mainly a
> matter of which OS), and bring them right to the appropriate page.

> Maybe
> we could even change the banners around so that if the browser is java
> complient, the banner is actually the client :) With all the web pages
> (including mine) that link to the banner...
We would have to change the HTML code to link to the banner then... it would
look something like:

> To make it accessible to as many people as possible, installation should
> be simple and automatic, and running should be invisible. I think that for
> these properties, we should concentrate on MacOS, Win95, and possibly
> Win3.1. Anybody using Unix or NT should be able to figure it out.

> The
> installation procedure can figure out if they are running through a
> firewall via the browser (I think), and maybe you ask the user how often
> they log onto the internet to figure out how to best configure updates.
It's probably not possible to glean firewall data from the browser, I would
think that that would be precived as a possible security risk.  However, we
could give simple easy instructions to look up the firewall data from the
browser settings dialog (do we NEED any data that you can't get from there?)

> Chris Arguin

	-=- James Mastros
---
		   Current Bovine Rate: ~5894.11 mkeys/sec
	       If Keys were dollars, we could pay off the U.S.
		       National Debt in 14.70 minutes.
     -=- http://rc5stats.distributed.net/statbar.html (Tue Oct 21 1997)