[rc5] Best setup for infrequent dial-up connection

Chris Arguin Chris.Arguin at unh.edu
Sun Oct 26 22:46:07 EST 1997

On Sun, 26 Oct 1997, James Mastros wrote:

> > > Make that java version of the client.  Have it display a message ("RC5: You
> > > are cracking it right now: ##### thousand keys, and counting").  Yes, it
> > > will be slow as honey at 20 below.  But it will pique peoples interest.  On
> > > click, have it go to a page with simple directions for the correct platform
> > > (Guess bassed on the browser.  I don't think any current browser dissalows
> > > testing what JVM its running under.  In any case, if you can't tell, give a
> > > menu.)  (BTW - have it crunch random keys, so we don't get sombody who is
> > > only there for 5 seconds checking out whole blocks.).
> >
> > This is an interesting concept. I'd reserve a block at a time for all of
> > the clients, and give keys from those blocks.
> I'm not shure how much that involves changing the current model for the
> keyservers (or, for that matther, the v3 plan).

I don't think it involves any re-writing in the servers or the protocol.
To make this work, you would have one machine that uses the v3 protocol to
request a block. That machine then gives out keys from that block to other
machines. When all the keys are done, it hands back that block and request
another. As far as the proxy servers are concerened, it's just another
client. The only difference is it's method of computation.

Is this worthwhile? Maybe not. It lets people see what we are doing, so
that hopefully they will be interested and get the full-blown version. But
it might be a lot of coding effort for little gain.

> > Maybe
> > we could even change the banners around so that if the browser is java
> > complient, the banner is actually the client :) With all the web pages
> > (including mine) that link to the banner...
> We would have to change the HTML code to link to the banner then... it would
> look something like:

??? Like what? You missed this part.  :)

> It's probably not possible to glean firewall data from the browser, I would
> think that that would be precived as a possible security risk.  However, we
> could give simple easy instructions to look up the firewall data from the
> browser settings dialog (do we NEED any data that you can't get from there?)

Well, what data do we need? The current client wants to know why type of
access you have. That includes whether there is a firewall or not. Like
you say, we can just direct the user to that screen to find out. That's
simple enough. We need their e-mail address (which hopefully they know).
Is anything else really important?

I'm beginning to think that by default we should have it download 50 or so
blocks, with the -frequent option. Users who know what they are doing can
change this. Dial-on-demand would be a bad default. Some people may have
long-distance ISPs, and I'd hate to have this program dialing up behind
their back. (you notice that we are getting back to the subject line of
the message finally :)

--
Chris Arguin                 | "...All we had were Zeros and Ones -- And
Chris.Arguin at unh.edu         |  sometimes we didn't even have Ones."