[rc5] An Idea of the V3 protocol

Mike Fisher mikefisher at mindless.com
Sun Oct 26 23:29:39 EST 1997

At 11:33 PM 10/26/97 -0500, you wrote:

>Does anybody think it would be useful to provide a way for clients to
>communicate with each other. For example, each client tells the server
>that it has a constant connection to the Internet (assuming, of course,
>that this is true). Then a client might say, "Hey... I need this piece of
>information", or "I need somebody else to process this." Then the server
>can point out another machine.
>
> [cut out a bit...]
>
>This is a bit of a break from how rc5 worked, but different problems to
>demand different solutions. Implementing this well is so complicated that
>if it was done at all it would probably have to wait for v4.
>
>--
>Chris Arguin                 | "...All we had were Zeros and Ones -- And
>cpa at hopper.unh.edu           |  sometimes we didn't even have Ones."
>                             +--------------+	- Dilbert, by Scott Adams
>http://leonardo.sr.unh.edu/arguin/home.html |

Personally, I think this idea sounds awesome.  Yes, it is a bit different,
and yes, it may leave those of us with dial-up connections out in the cold
at times, but it does have incredible merit.  Isn't the world sort of
slowly moving towards constant connectivity anyways?  What with Microsoft
integrating the internet into the desktop and cable and telephone companies
developing faster and permanent connections, this seems like it may very
well be part of the future of distributed computing.  I don't want to be a
party-pooper and say it's an idea ahead of its time, but we might also have
to take a step back and see what exactly we have available right now.  But
also keep it in the forefront of our minds, because we could begin to
influence the future.

Sorry to wax poetic there, just thought a great idea deserved response.  :-)

Mike Fisher
-----------
emails: mf779 at apci.net   <-- Send files here.
        mikefisher at mindless.com
        mf33 at evansville.edu
web:    www.apci.net/~mf779
ICQ UIN#  1212137   <-- Contact me!!

We beat RC5-56... On to RC5-64!!  Join the effort!  With your spare
CPU cycles, help prove to the gov't that current encryption policy just
isn't enough.  Visit http://www.distributed.net/rc5 for details or you're
more than welcome to email me.  Did I mention a cash prize as well?  Help
us out, because an idle CPU is a terrible thing to waste.