[rc5] Best setup for infrequent dial-up connection

Mike Fisher mikefisher at mindless.com
Mon Oct 27 00:10:33 EST 1997

At 06:53 PM 10/26/97 -0800, you wrote:
>>To make it accessible to as many people as possible, installation should
>>be simple and automatic, and running should be invisible. I think that for
>>these properties, we should concentrate on MacOS, Win95, and possibly
>>Win3.1. Anybody using Unix or NT should be able to figure it out. The
>
>Invisible, on Win3.1? Hahahaha.
>
>Not to knock 16bit Windows (OK, yes, I will FLAME IT HARD). You don't run
>anything smoothly or invisibly in the background on 16bit Windows. If the
>background program so much as hiccups, the foreground will hiccup too, or
>hang, or worse yet GPF.

I know you're right, but I could get (don't laugh) two 386's to crunch away
(they're on 24/7 anyways) and it'd be alot easier if the people who use
them didn't know it was running.  They're in the study lounge of our dorm
floor and other students use them to check email thru telnet on the
schools' server (they rarely do anything harder).  I can imagine some
student seeing that cute bovine icon down below and go what's this? and i
can't check them constantly, so I might miss out a whole night and day of
work (which, to be honest, on a 386 means the difference between two blocks
and three).

Oops, got carried away there...

>--
>Bill Plein
>bill at diablo.net
>PGP Key:
>http://keys.pgp.com:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&exact=on&search=0x3860E5B9
>
>----
in the body.

Mike Fisher
-----------
emails: mf779 at apci.net   <-- Send files here.
        mikefisher at mindless.com
        mf33 at evansville.edu
web:    www.apci.net/~mf779
ICQ UIN#  1212137   <-- Contact me!!

We beat RC5-56... On to RC5-64!!  Join the effort!  With your spare
CPU cycles, help prove to the gov't that current encryption policy just
isn't enough.  Visit http://www.distributed.net/rc5 for details or you're
more than welcome to email me.  Did I mention a cash prize as well?  Help
us out, because an idle CPU is a terrible thing to waste.