[rc5] Best setup for infrequent dial-up connection

dan carter daniel.carter at stonebow.otago.ac.nz
Mon Oct 27 23:28:44 EST 1997

On Mon, 27 Oct 1997 00:10:33 -0600, Mike Fisher wrote:
>>Not to knock 16bit Windows (OK, yes, I will FLAME IT HARD). You don't run
>>anything smoothly or invisibly in the background on 16bit Windows. If the
>>background program so much as hiccups, the foreground will hiccup too, or
>>hang, or worse yet GPF.
>
>I know you're right, but I could get (don't laugh) two 386's to crunch away
>(they're on 24/7 anyways) and it'd be alot easier if the people who use
>them didn't know it was running.

OK, you accept that you can't make guiwin16 invisible, and then
continue to promote the idea of an invisible win16 client. Am i missing
something?
Even if the icon were hidden, people would still wonder why their
windows was playing up all of a sudden.
There is a very noticeable sluggishness when running the client, even
with a small timeslice setting. Not to mention all sorts of other
weirdness, like dos prompts don't open until about 40seconds after
double clicking when guiwin16 is running.....
Still windows makes a good rc5 cracker when the machine is not
otherwise being used.