[rc5] An Idea for the V3 protocol

Bill Plein bill at diablo.net
Mon Oct 27 09:51:20 EST 1997

>Yes, that is a major problem. One ideal of distributed.net, as I see
>it, is that anybody can easily donate CPU cycles to any process. We
>don't want them to have to be registered, and then wait for approval
>before they can help. That will stop a lot of people from helping.

It depends on the goals of the project. I see it two ways:

1) 	Optimized for large scale, anonymous processing (like RC5)

2)	Optimized for secure processing (like internal systems work inside a
corporation)

I can imagine that the design criteria would be very different for the
above two situations. Imagine a V3 client that could run any various client
application (prime numbers, RC5, weather calculations). Now imagine trying
to use that in a bank to calculate some very important, but very
proprietary data. The possibility of a trojan V3 client causing damage to
data, or causing a security breach, would be very important to a bank
implementing V3 type technology for their own internal systems.

I believe that the V3 protocol should ALLOW for passing registration
between the client and server, but specific applications of the technology
could be implemented with this feature turned off.

--
Bill Plein
bill at diablo.net
PGP Key: