[rc5] An Idea for the V3 protocol

Joseph Fisk joe at rm405n-a.roberts.fit.edu
Mon Oct 27 21:34:20 EST 1997

On Mon, 27 Oct 1997, Chris Arguin wrote:

> On Mon, 27 Oct 1997, Sebastian Kuzminsky wrote:
>
> > This may be so I/O intensive that using todays communications
> > infrastructure, the job would be prohibitively slow.  How many of the
> > people participating in the distributed.net computer connect to the
> > Internet at less than 100 kilobits per second?
> >
> >    The trick would be to make the resource sharing scheme efficient on
> > both fast and slow networks.
>
> For myself, I connect at 57.6k (at least it's really 57.6k, and not over a
> phone line). Since one of the nice things about distributed.net is how you
> can use it and not even notice that it is running, it would be a real
> problem if it started tieing up your network connection.

Clearly there is a trade off between detail/depth of search and I/O
requirements.

Clients should be categorized based on connect speed, CPU, etc.  Because
chess as we know it is inextricably linked to realtime, the bare mimimum
CPU/bandwidth clients would be far above those for RC5 (a 386 at 2400bps
is probably no longer viable =).

With such catgeorizations, work could be allocated more efficiently.

Also several layers of servers/hubs could be implemented to monitor the
"score" of a given branch of moves at various levels.

> I know people are gonna complain about the server choosing what project
> you join. That is just for most efficient use of resources. We may be
> better off without that, just to get more people to join.

It's a great idea, but at this point we would be better off without such a
system.

Joseph