[rc5] Re: One Time Pad

Bill Plein bill at diablo.net
Mon Oct 27 10:58:42 EST 1997

>May I ask why, if a secure transport method has been found, that the
>message itself cannot simply be sent?  (If a message was so ultra-secret
>that a OTP was needed, I'd be much more worried about the human factor of
>data  security than the possibility of the key being brute-forced.)

Think of it this way. Before you go off to be ambassador to Bosnia, we sit
down and make up 1000 keys for your use over there. You carry those by
hand. You now have a way of passing 1000 secure messages back to me,
subject of course to the security issues involved in keeping the keys
hidden from others.

So while ALL the keys could be delivered at once, they can be used up over
time.

--
Bill Plein
bill at diablo.net