[rc5] Re: One Time Pad

Mike Silbersack silby at execpc.com
Mon Oct 27 13:19:09 EST 1997

> >May I ask why, if a secure transport method has been found, that the
> >message itself cannot simply be sent?  (If a message was so ultra-secret
> >that a OTP was needed, I'd be much more worried about the human factor
of
> >data  security than the possibility of the key being brute-forced.)
>
> Think of it this way. Before you go off to be ambassador to Bosnia, we
sit
> down and make up 1000 keys for your use over there. You carry those by
> hand. You now have a way of passing 1000 secure messages back to me,
> subject of course to the security issues involved in keeping the keys
> hidden from others.
>
> So while ALL the keys could be delivered at once, they can be used up
over
> time.
>
> --
> Bill Plein
> bill at diablo.net

I guess that would be a workable situation.  I still believe that in such a
case it would still be VERY possible for someone to steal the book, copy it
down, and then have access to ALL correspondence for the next three years.
A RC5-128 bit key that was switched (with the new key sent using the old
encryption) every week or so would still be much better, IMHO.  (I can't
imagine a situation where personal security was BETTER than data security.)

Mike "Silby" Silbersack
silby at execpc.com