[rc5] Enigma and Purple (was Re: One Time Pad)

Ranjit Annamalai rxa21 at po.cwru.edu
Mon Oct 27 15:23:51 EST 1997

This is probably a little outside of RC5 so please send replys to me
privately.

Seth Dillingham wrote:

> Chris Grantham (casper at optima.mme.wsu.edu), on 10/27/97 10:27 AM, wrote
> the following:

> The only other part of this, which I'm even less sure of, is what's on
> the pad. I think in its most basic incarnation, each page of the pad is a
> different 'translation table' for keywords and 'general words' to be used
> when encrypting a message. If I'm wrong about this, of course, I'm going
> to look like a fool, but here's what I remember (this is just a silly,
> overly-simplified example):

This reminds me a lot of the German Enigma and Japanese Purple
encryption schemes.  They used wheeels (4 or 5) which translated what
one letter should be into another.  Then after each letter was encrypted
they would move the code wheel to the next notch which would switch the
translation tables for the characters.  This sounds like it would
duplicate the otp if the code wheel combinations were longer than the
message and if new code wheels were issued once they were used up
right?  Does anyone know the particulars on how those two systems worked
and how we managed to crack them encryption scheme?  From what I
remember we managed to crack  one of the systems before we actually got
a hold of the code wheels.  Is this because in actuality the code wheel
combinations weren't longer than the message or that the wheels weren't
changed?

--
R   a    n   j    i    t       A    n    n    a    m    a    l    a    i
Page me at 1-888-pagoo-44 id:4088935       http://www.netwalk.com/~meena