[rc5] smtp

Bill Plein bill at diablo.net
Mon Oct 27 13:42:47 EST 1997

At 04:26 PM 10/27/97 -0500, you wrote:
>On Mon, 27 Oct 1997, Bill Plein wrote:
>
>> Is anyone using the SMTP messaging successfully?
>>
>> I've tried it on 2.0641 NT Service, and on 2.0641 Linux-Alpha, and aimed it
>> at my server and also tried it aimed at my friends, just in case it was
>> version specific.
>
>Are you sharing the log file with another copy of the program.  (I'm
>running it here so that I have 3 clients sharing a logfile.  when I run a
>fourth client with a -update and a separate logfile I consistently get the
>results of my -update sent to me.  When I had it using the same log file I
>never got anything.  I also appear to be getting logfile results from only
>one client.)    My guess is that the clients are keeping the logfile open
>continuosly, thus preventing any other client from opening the logfile for
>reading and sending out.
>
>Something to consider.

Nope, I am not sharing the files.

But someone else helped me a bit, and we did the following:

He sent his messages to my server (diablo.net)	->	WORKS
I sent my messages to my server  (diablo.net)  -> 	FAILS
He sent his messages to his server (monroe.lib.mi.us)	->	WORKS
I sent my messages to my server  (monroe.lib.mi.us)  -> 	WORKS

So the only thing I can think of right now is that there is a timing issue
(I'm too close i.e. FAST to my server) with particular flavors of sendmail.

I tried a server "near" me across a 64kbit ISDN line, and it did NOT work,
as a few others did not, but his does. Hmmmm..

--
Bill Plein
bill at diablo.net
PGP Key: