[rc5] v3

Eric Gindrup gindrup at okway.okstate.edu
Mon Oct 27 17:32:24 EST 1997

     Back of the envelope.

     Pieces that have no position are obviously captured.

     It's "always black's turn".  The idea is to treat it as if the
     computer is always black, even when playing white since that
     simplifies the openings tables (microscopically).

     En Passant requires more information than that.  A pawn must be moved
     to the fourth rank (from its side of the board) on its first movement
     (during the game) to be susceptible to en passant attack.  Then on the
     subsequent move by the opponent, a pawn adjacent to the pawn so moved
     may capture that pawn by capturing the square "skipped" by that pawn.
     Thus, it is necessary to indicate if the previous move was of a pawn
     and if so if to the fourth rank.  It is then possible to determine if
     that pawn is susceptible to en passant capture through analysis of the
     location of opposing pawns.
            -- Eric Gindrup ! gindrup at okway.okstate.edu