[rc5] Best setup for infrequent dial-up connection

Mike Fisher mikefisher at mindless.com
Mon Oct 27 17:43:44 EST 1997

At 11:28 PM 10/27/97 +1300, you wrote:
>On Mon, 27 Oct 1997 00:10:33 -0600, Mike Fisher wrote:
>>>Not to knock 16bit Windows (OK, yes, I will FLAME IT HARD). You don't run
>>>anything smoothly or invisibly in the background on 16bit Windows. If the
>>>background program so much as hiccups, the foreground will hiccup too, or
>>>hang, or worse yet GPF.
>>
>>I know you're right, but I could get (don't laugh) two 386's to crunch away
>>(they're on 24/7 anyways) and it'd be alot easier if the people who use
>>them didn't know it was running.
>
>OK, you accept that you can't make guiwin16 invisible, and then
>continue to promote the idea of an invisible win16 client. Am i missing
>something?
>Even if the icon were hidden, people would still wonder why their
>windows was playing up all of a sudden.
>There is a very noticeable sluggishness when running the client, even
>with a small timeslice setting. Not to mention all sorts of other
>weirdness, like dos prompts don't open until about 40seconds after
>double clicking when guiwin16 is running.....
>Still windows makes a good rc5 cracker when the machine is not
>otherwise being used.
>
>+-------------------------------------------------+
>|                  daniel carter                  |
>|               phone +64 3 4736986               |
>|        daniel.carter at stonebow.otago.ac.nz       |
>|       1 crown st, dunedin, new zealand ;-}      |
>+-------------------------------------------------+

I apologize for coming across the wrong way... I was just trying to make
the point that for the most part, the people who do use them only check
email thru a telnet session and very rarely do they get used for anything
more strenuous.  Also, the people who do use them probably wouldn't realize
it's running a just a bit slower than it did previously.  However, I do see
what you are saying.

Mike Fisher
-----------
emails: mf779 at apci.net   <-- Send files here.
        mikefisher at mindless.com
        mf33 at evansville.edu
web:    www.apci.net/~mf779
ICQ UIN#  1212137   <-- Contact me!!

We beat RC5-56... On to RC5-64!!  Join the effort!  With your spare
CPU cycles, help prove to the gov't that current encryption policy just
isn't enough.  Visit http://www.distributed.net/rc5 for details or you're
more than welcome to email me.  Did I mention a cash prize as well?  Help
us out, because an idle CPU is a terrible thing to waste.