[rc5] RC64 keyspace

Chris Grantham casper at optima.mme.wsu.edu
Tue Oct 28 06:58:16 EST 1997

Rob Winters wrote:

> No, it's not like in the movies. You have to decode the thing
> completely
> as if each key is the correct key. Then you either have it, or you
> don't.
>
> I do wonder whether RSA might intentionally spread the answers out to
> different areas of the keyspace. They would want to ensure, for
> example,
> that a brute force search from the bottom would not find their 128-bit
> key
> in minutes :-). For that reason, I think that I would fish around a
> bit,
> and not just go from beginning to end. Might not help, but shouldn't
> hurt.

Despite the unlikliness of this, Bovine's key system involves assigning
"Super Blocks" to the proxies. These "Super Blocks" are randomly
assigned from the keyspace as a whole, so no matter where the key is in
the space, we should find it, on the average, in the same amount of time
as if any other key were "the key". Correct me if I'm wrong here,
anyone?

--
|Chris Grantham, a.k.a. Zefram  |