[rc5] Mac client problems

Rob Winters rob at annapurna.com
Tue Oct 28 11:04:57 EST 1997

Checking on my fastest machine (a PowerMac 9500, 430K/sec), I see that it
has been generating random blocks all night, and 114 buffers are waiting
to flush. I am unable to get it back online. I even ftp'ed from
distributed.net *from the same machine* to get a replacement program.
Re-booted. Quit all other apps. It's dead, Jim.

The errors in the log are:

Network::Error Read failed3/0

Network::Open Error

This is running MacOS 8.

When telnet'ing from an adjacent workstation, I get:

$ telnet rc5proxy.distributed.net 2056
Trying 199.45.111.6...
telnet: connect to address 199.45.111.6: Connection refused
telnet: connect to address 207.43.209.10: Connection refused
Connected to rc5proxy.distributed.net.
Escape character is '^]'.
Connection closed by foreign host.

Does the Mac client or the Mac IP stack not handle the first two failures
as well as UNIX, or what? Should I point to rc5proxy.distributed.net by
IP, or what? Also, the connection, once made, times out pretty darn
quickly: about 10 seconds. Not very POTS-line friendly.

A setting for "never go offline, just try again later" or "manually try
another machine" would also be nice. These machines are never offline.

Thanks for any ideas.

 /// Rob