[rc5] RC64 keyspace

Eric Gindrup gindrup at okway.okstate.edu
Tue Oct 28 11:44:58 EST 1997

     The indication is that we can strip maybe eleven bits worth of
     keyspace off...
            -- Eric Gindrup ! gindrup at okway.okstate.edu

Subject: Re: [rc5] RC64 keyspace
Author:  <rc5 at llamas.net > at SMTP
Date:    10/27/97 1:08 PM

>So the best way we have to break the encryption is to use brute-force.
>Unless you know something we all don't.  ;-)

This is not true.  All encryption techniques have flaws.  There are
mathematical ways to elimate portions of the keyspace.  This depends on
the encryption method and your knowledge of the problem:  known
plaintext, unknown plaintext, etc.  Now, we have an easier one:  known
plaintext--we know a portion of the plaintext!

I don't remember specifically the flaws in RC5.  Does anybody have
Applied Cryptography handy?  It will probably show how to eliminate parts
of the keyspace.

Of course, the point of Bovine (and the rest) is to prove that low bit
encryption is susceptible to brute force.

Ryan Krueger
Senior Analyst
ryan at jtmd.com
James Tower Media Design