[rc5] v3

Eric Gindrup gindrup at okway.okstate.edu
Tue Oct 28 15:22:39 EST 1997

        Board positions are generated recursively.  Each position one ply
     away is evaluated by a complex evaluation function.  The best x% of
     them are kept and the recursion continues.  If one branch results in
     positions (a couple of plys away) that are all bad, that entire branch
     is pruned.
        Bad positions are usually defined as positions where:
     1) I've lost.
     2) I'm about to lose.
     3) All of my moves result in positions better for my opponent than for
     me.
     4) None of my moves increases my position without increasing my
     opponent's position by at least as much.

     Many programs don't use all four criteria or use extremely naive
     versions.

     Ideally, you take the move that minimizes the improvement that the
     opponent can make (no matter which move that opponent picks).

     The hard part is getting good evaluation functions.  The best known
     evaluation functions vary over the duration of the game.  This is
     similar to the change in character between the opening, the midgame
     and the endgame.  Theoretically, exhaustive chess would permit the
     construction of a perfect evaluation function that would always
     immediately force the computer to pick the best move.  No one knows
     how to do that, though.