[rc5] Re: One Time Pad

Richard Freeman rfreeman at netaxs.com
Tue Oct 28 16:33:48 EST 1997

On Mon, 27 Oct 1997, Mike Silbersack wrote:

> May I ask why, if a secure transport method has been found, that the
> message itself cannot simply be sent?  (If a message was so ultra-secret
> that a OTP was needed, I'd be much more worried about the human factor of
> data  security than the possibility of the key being brute-forced.)

If the secure method is the diplomatic pouch - then it takes a couple of
hours at least to get a message across the world.  If the message is a
list of stategic targets to be bombed in world war three - then it would
not be good to delay your attack to get the word out...  The KEY could be
sent in advance during peacetime - and then the message be simply sent out
by radio when it is needed - instantly received by the intended party.