[rc5] Re: One Time Pad

Richard Freeman rfreeman at netaxs.com
Tue Oct 28 16:57:35 EST 1997

On Mon, 27 Oct 1997, Mike Silbersack wrote:

> I guess that would be a workable situation.  I still believe that in such a
> case it would still be VERY possible for someone to steal the book, copy it
> down, and then have access to ALL correspondence for the next three years.
> A RC5-128 bit key that was switched (with the new key sent using the old
> encryption) every week or so would still be much better, IMHO.  (I can't
> imagine a situation where personal security was BETTER than data security.)

BAD BAD BAD!!!  Somebody saves every message you ever send (they can't
read them yet).  They bruteforce the first one (it might take 20 years -
who cares - some of the information might have value for generations -
like secret treaties and alliances and things like that).  Now they have
the next key, and the next one....  Now they can understand everything
that you ever sent while using that scheme.  If you are encrypting
information that is personal (like your credit card number) - then
security for 100 years is just fine - you're dead before anyone can bother
you with the decoded text.  However, nations last quite a while, and you
may want to send an ambassador something that you don't want people to
EVER find out...

-------
Richard T. Freeman <rfreeman at netaxs.com> - finger for pgp key
3D CB AF BD FF E8 0B 10 4E 09 27 00 8D 27 E1 93
http://www.netaxs.com/~rfreeman - ftp.netaxs.com/people/rfreeman