[rc5] Enigma and Purple (was Re: One Time Pad)

Eric Gindrup gindrup at okway.okstate.edu
Tue Oct 28 17:36:56 EST 1997

        Late in the war, one of the modified 6-rotor U-boat Enigmas was
     intercepted allowing subsequent decoding of the U-boat command
     messages.  This was (almost) unnecessary at that point given the state
     of the War.  It is likely though that intercepting U-boat distribution
     messages helped accelerate the movement of tropps across the Atlantic
     in order to start the Normandy invasion...
        ANYWAY...  The bulk of the cracking was brute-force against a
     "simple" key-based substitution cipher in "pidgin German".  Some of it
     was automated (hey look, this substitution set doesn't have any spaces
     in it -- I guess we don't need to report it to an operator) but the
     cracking effort employed many (mostly English women) in the
     operations.  There was a similar facility in the U.S. with similar
     employment patterns.
            -- Eric Gindrup ! gindrup at okway.okstate.edu