Distributed purchase key attack (was Re: [rc5] Re: Rubber hose)

Ranjit Annamalai rxa21 at po.cwru.edu
Wed Oct 29 00:40:35 EST 1997

How about a new proposal then, harnessing the multitudes of analog
computers at Bovines disposal we request that everyone run a
send-spare-change client and then after a few weeks we could probably do
a successful purchase-key attack of RSA.  We have already seen gracious
members donate their .02 cents so here's mine

$.02 (only to be used for a bovine purchase-key attack)

Ryan Dumperth wrote:

> >From Applied Cryptography, p.7:
>
> "Rubber-hose cryptanalysis:
> The cryptanalyst threatens, blackmails, or tortures someone until they give
> him the key. Bribery is sometimes referred to as a purchase-key attack.
> These are all very powerful attacks and often the best way to break an
> algorithm."

R   a    n   j    i    t       A    n    n    a    m    a    l    a    i
Page me at 1-888-pagoo-44 id:4088935       http://www.netwalk.com/~meena