[rc5] OS/2 for PowerPC client

Edwin ten Dam etd at st-andrews.ac.uk
Wed Oct 29 09:06:59 EST 1997

Thus spoke the keyboard of Joseph Fisk (29/10/97):
>On Wed, 29 Oct 1997, dan carter wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Couldn't help but notice that on
>> http://rc5stats.distributed.net/cpuosfull.html there is listed OS/2 for
>> PowerPC as having done 27 blocks.
>>
>> Is this for real? Is somebody here using OS/2 for PowerPC? I'd love to
>> know more....
>
>There IS a PPC version of OS/2, but it isn't generally available.  At one
>point I think it was available for (very) special order from IBM.
>
>But everyone knows the only real PPC OS is MKLinux, which should be called
>PowerLinux.  I really wish PPCs were generally available, i.e., not just
>through Apple.

There's still UMAX and the remaining stock of (ex) mac clone vendors.

(is that the sound of of-topic alarmbells going off in the distance?)

Edwin

Edwin ten Dam                              etd at st-andrews.ac.uk
Division of Cell & Molecular Biology - University of St Andrews
Irvine Building, North Street,  St Andrews, Fife KY16  9AL U.K.
Phone: +44 1334 463404                   - Fax: +44 1334 463400