[rc5] Linux-mt => Linux SMP?

Sebastian Kuzminsky kuzminsk at taussky.cs.colorado.edu
Wed Oct 29 10:54:52 EST 1997

"Slim" <slim at ipapilot.org> wrote:
] I downloaded and have been using the multi-threaded version of the Linux
] client on various single-processor Linux boxes. I was under the impression
] that the multi-threading did more than just allow more than one
] code-crunching thread to be running; it would allow networking stuff to be
] happening while code crunching continued, so that there would be benefits
] to running it on single-processor machines.

   This is correct.  The multi-threaded application will be somewhat
faster on a single-processor machine, and about N times better on a
machine with N processors.

Sebastian