[rc5] Distributed Chess camps

Sebastian Kuzminsky kuzminsk at taussky.cs.colorado.edu
Wed Oct 29 11:38:38 EST 1997

"Christopher Hodson (Consultant)" <cmh at fpk.hp.com> wrote:
] As I see it, there are two camps on how to do "distributed chess"
]
] 	1. distributed.net would be a deep-blue-like supercomputer
] 		to challenge someone for a single game.
] 	2. treat chess as a computer problem to be solved.
]
] I find myself in camp #2, but either way, we should begin with WHAT
] we are going to do before we try to get into implementation details
] such as how many bits to use.  I have some ideas on how to go about
] solving chess, but perhaps this should be moved to a different list?
]
] Let me know if you would like to hear my ideas.

   I for one would like to hear your ideas.

   I am sceptical about the idea of 'solving' chess.  Where would you
store the solution?  Solving sub-problems of chess (generating end-game
tables and playing single games) is doable, but not the general problem.

Sebastian