[rc5] Distributed Chess camps

Christopher Hodson (Consultant) cmh at fpk.hp.com
Wed Oct 29 13:44:33 EST 1997

Skip Huffman wrote:

> On Wed, 29 Oct 1997 10:21:41 -0500, Christopher Hodson (Consultant)
> wrote:
>
> >2. treat chess as a computer problem to be solved.
> >
> >I find myself in camp #2, but either way, we should begin with WHAT
> >we are going to do before we try to get into implementation details
> >such as how many bits to use.
>
> Not exactly.  Some of us want to treat chess as a *distributed*
> computer problem to be solved.
>
> Heck my old Atari video game from the 1970's played chess.  I want to
> see how a quite complex but well understood problem can be analyzed in
> a distributed environment.
>
> By analyzing the issue of chess, we will be more able to understand and
> apply distributed computing to other issues.  Perhaps El Ni¤o.

I believe we are saying the same thing.

I propose the following 2-part algorithm for solving this chess fad:

	1. Send a board description to a requesting computer which
		will return all 1-ply possibilities.

	2. Along each step of this tree, rate each position relative
		to the previous step in the tree.

I await comments
--
Christopher M. Hodson