[rc5] Mac client problems

James Mastros root at jennifer-unix.dyn.ml.org
Wed Oct 29 15:29:51 EST 1997

On Tue, 28 Oct 1997, Rob Winters wrote:
> When telnet'ing from an adjacent workstation, I get:
>
> $ telnet rc5proxy.distributed.net 2056
> Trying 199.45.111.6...
> telnet: connect to address 199.45.111.6: Connection refused
> telnet: connect to address 207.43.209.10: Connection refused
> Connected to rc5proxy.distributed.net.
> Escape character is '^]'.
> Connection closed by foreign host.
>
> Does the Mac client or the Mac IP stack not handle the first two failures
> as well as UNIX, or what? Should I point to rc5proxy.distributed.net by
> IP, or what? Also, the connection, once made, times out pretty darn
> quickly: about 10 seconds. Not very POTS-line friendly.

rc5proxy.distributed.net is a "round-robin" dns entry.  It points to several
(11 at the moment) different machines (IPs), cycling through them.  Here,
two of the servers refuse the connection (Anybody know why?), and the third
picked up OK.  As to the timeout, you need a really terrible connection for
it to take ten seconds for the first character to get through.  Try pointing
to a specific IP, like 205.149.163.211 (eris.noc.best.net) (note: I just
picked a random IP from the list).

>  /// Rob

	-=- James Mastros
---
		   Current Bovine Rate: ~5894.11 mkeys/sec
	       If Keys were dollars, we could pay off the U.S.
		       National Debt in 14.70 minutes.
     -=- http://rc5stats.distributed.net/statbar.html (Tue Oct 21 1997)