[rc5] Mac client problems

Peter A. DeNitto denitto at llamas.net
Wed Oct 29 15:47:40 EST 1997

On Wed, 29 Oct 1997, James Mastros wrote:

> On Tue, 28 Oct 1997, Rob Winters wrote:
> > When telnet'ing from an adjacent workstation, I get:
> >
> > $ telnet rc5proxy.distributed.net 2056
> > Trying 199.45.111.6...
> > telnet: connect to address 199.45.111.6: Connection refused
> > telnet: connect to address 207.43.209.10: Connection refused
> > Connected to rc5proxy.distributed.net.
> > Escape character is '^]'.
> > Connection closed by foreign host.
> >
> > Does the Mac client or the Mac IP stack not handle the first two failures
> > as well as UNIX, or what? Should I point to rc5proxy.distributed.net by
> > IP, or what? Also, the connection, once made, times out pretty darn
> > quickly: about 10 seconds. Not very POTS-line friendly.
>
> rc5proxy.distributed.net is a "round-robin" dns entry.  It points to several
> (11 at the moment) different machines (IPs), cycling through them.  Here,
> two of the servers refuse the connection (Anybody know why?), and the third
> picked up OK.  As to the timeout, you need a really terrible connection for
> it to take ten seconds for the first character to get through.  Try pointing
> to a specific IP, like 205.149.163.211 (eris.noc.best.net) (note: I just
> picked a random IP from the list).

See, the reason it wouldn't connect to the first to is that you chose port
2056.  Most of the proxies no longer run on port 2056.  This was the port
for the RC5-56 client.  The RC5-64 client runs on port 2064.

So be lucky those clients still out in Non-Accessable areas are still able
to chew on keys instead of blank space.

--Pete

--
Help Crack Government Encryption - Join the Bovine Project: www.distributed.net
The cows are tromping all over America. Cows can replicate. They're