[rc5] Distributed Chess camps

Eric Gindrup gindrup at okway.okstate.edu
Wed Oct 29 17:24:56 EST 1997

     <*sputter all over keyboard*>
     Er.  It takes longer to send the data than to do the evaluation you
     suggest.  It would be faster for a non-distributed computer to do
     this.  Single plys are trivial to compute and the amount of positional
     information produced thereby is also trivial.  To make meaningful
     position evaluations requires deep search trees.  To make correct
     position evaluations requires complete search trees.

     This is equivalent to reverse chess:  Start from every checkmate or
     stalemate and produce all possible previous (legal) states.  Recurse.
     You do not want to calculate a single ply and then return.

     These would both require 40^30 return values (as a wild estimate) or
     about RC5-160's worth of network bandwidth.  There does not exist a
     communications infrastructure that can support 1 ply methods.