[rc5] More ideas for v3

Eric Gindrup gindrup at okway.okstate.edu
Wed Oct 29 17:42:43 EST 1997

     I imagined multiple project service points (like D.N) where project
     lists were mirrored and information for linking up to the proxy
     network for that project.  Then the conversations would be similar to
     what you specified but the "server" would  differ for project list
     query than for project block query.
     I also imagined the ability to slide sliders by the projects I wanted
     so my client could hit the project service proxy networks so as to
     match my interest settings.  Right now, my settings would be about
     ~40% RC5-64 and ~%60% Golomb Rulers (as I am running both clients and
     don't have a Win3.x client yet).
     I'd expect the client to detect the absence of a native core on
     startup and only throw a dialog asking if the native core should be
     downloaded then (while continuing multithreadedly in the background
     (in case the power sank overnight and the process was restarted))
     signature and source information would go there.
     Source organization, program sources, and homepage information should
     be displayed while thumbing through the projects lists (with links)
     and not during the client conversations.

     In effect, every couple of days, the user runs the project manager and
     connects to a central project site mirror to get the current list and
     select preferences.  On each restart, the client should check for
     native cores and ask if the user would like them downloaded (in a
     non-modal way).  At that point, the client is talking to both the
     project proxies and to the meta-project mirrors.  Then for almost all
     other transactions, the client should not need a human nnd should only
     communicate with the project proxies previously specified.

     I don't have a problem with your conversation models.  I'm concerned
     about data partitioning and the intended time-scales of user
     intervention.