[rc5] IRC as primary means of communications.

James Mastros root at jennifer-unix.dyn.ml.org
Wed Oct 29 18:01:41 EST 1997

On Tue, 28 Oct 1997, Glen Mcbride wrote:
> >Umm... If you read the date & recived headers, they likely give the time
> >with a timezone pegged on.  You can generally assume that that is the tz
> >that the mailserver is in, and thus likely the writer lives in that tz.  A
> >bit unrelible, but normaly good.
>
> Er. No.
> Look at the headers in my email. I'm in Melbourne, Australia TZ=GMT+10
> My POP mail server is in Santa Clara, CA, TZ=GMT-8. This mail most likely
> left my employer via a machine in Billerica, MA TZ=GMT-5. There may be more
> machines where this email got ping-ponged around.

Odd.  Your headers say that your computer is in +1100 (from the date feild),
but your smtp server is in -0800, but then it went to the listserver in
-0500, and to me, also in -0500.  So I would have been an hour off.  Does
the tz setting on your computer corospond properly to it's position?

	-=- James Mastros

---
When the annals of distributed computing are written, and the name 'Bovine'
appears in there, I can say "Hey, I was a part of that, I checked .0012% of
the keyspace".
	-=- Brian Wilson <wilsonb at mindspring.net>
Go to www.distributed.net before I come make you!