[rc5] IRC as primary means of communications.

James Mastros root at jennifer-unix.dyn.ml.org
Wed Oct 29 19:59:08 EST 1997

On Tue, 28 Oct 1997, Joseph Fisk wrote:
> > Umm... If you read the date & recived headers, they likely give the time
> > with a timezone pegged on.  You can generally assume that that is the tz
> > that the mailserver is in, and thus likely the writer lives in that tz.  A
> > bit unrelible, but normaly good.  Also, many people mention where they live
> > in their signature.
>
> Well, since you don't say in your own signature, where are you writing
> from?  The time zone specified in the message header is EST (which happens
> to be my own timezone).
>
> Keep in mind that this is a centralized maillist, so anything that you
> send will be timestamped by the maillist server, not your own box.
>
> Joseph

Yep, I'm EST.  If you read the headers (from the bottom up, natuarally)...
Date -- Always generated by the first machine to do this as a internet-style
(RFC12xx?) email.  In my case, "Mon, 27 Oct 1997 22:49:04 -0500 (EST)".  My
machine could have stamped it with any tz it wants to, but will most likely
stamp with its own (with GMT also being a distinct posibility).  Then, there
is a Recived header (localhost->jennifer-unix.dyn.ml.org).  Since that
matches the domain on my email, that is my box (I run a linux machine, she's
sweet).  Then we get a couple more reciveds.  The complete path, then, is.

mail sent -> jennifer-unix.dyn.ml.org -> chipsworld.llamas.net (for
rc5 at llamas.net) -> chipsworld.llamas.net (for rc5-outgoing) -> relay4.UU.NET
-> jennifer-unix.dyn.ml.org (replace with your box)

There is, within the headers, a timestamp (with tz) for EACH of these steps.
Although my setup is somewhat odd in that my box stamped the message twice
(once as a mail user agent, once as mail transport agent), all of these
stamps are required to be there.

	-=- James Mastros
---
When the annals of distributed computing are written, and the name 'Bovine'
appears in there, I can say "Hey, I was a part of that, I checked .0012% of
the keyspace".
	-=- Brian Wilson <wilsonb at mindspring.net>
Go to www.distributed.net before I come make you!