[rc5] Re: Re[2]: Distributed Chess Theory

Thu Oct 30 08:20:25 EST 1997

On Wed, 29 Oct 1997 23:28:44 +0000 (GMT), Martin Regan wrote:

>257 bits for board:
>7 types of pieces for each side  (R, Kn, B, Q, K, p and mp) where mp
>is a pawn that has just moved (needed for en passant)
>= 14 possible pieces + 1 for a blank square = 15 possibilities for
>each square = 4 bits *64 squares = 2^256  (+1 bit for move)

Unfortunatly this leaves out some key information.  Captured pieces,
Castling, En Passant, Pawn Conversions, probably more.

The more I think about it, I am realizing that there is no reason to
get the transmitted information as small as possible.  All we really
need to shoot for is less than about 100 bytes.  Remember that this is
going to be transmitted across the internet, often in x.25 packets,
which are 128 bytes is size.  It does not matter whether the actual
information is one bit or fifty bytes, it is going to be transmitted in
an X.25 packet and take up 128 bytes.  Now some of that space needs to
be reserved for TCP/IP information, I think about 21 bytes, so that
leaves us about 100 bytes to fill.  No need to go smaller.

Skip Huffman
Carreker-Antinori
Atlanta Office
Quality Group
"A penny saved may be a penny earned, but it's a waste of
 a deposit slip and it really pisses off the tellers."