[rc5] Why are Alpha's so much slower then wintel boxes?

Brian Greul (Exch) bbraf08 at exch-imc.b-r.com
Fri Oct 31 15:13:34 EST 1997

Does anyone have any ideas on why Alphas might be so much slower than
wintel boxes at crunching this code?
I would expect them to perform on par.
Is there a way to utilize the FPU to crunch numbers?
after all, an integer is just an even floating point number....

It would seem that it might be worthwhile to convert the integers to
floating point numbers, or to just read them in on the alpha client....
Any thoughts on this issue?
Reasons why it won't work?

I'm not a math guru, but my guess is that any processor that can crunch
floating point numbers should be able to snap integers in half if you
don't use the CPU stack to do it... i.e. the FPU is optimized for math,
and on a processor with a FPU the CPU may not have received much in the
way of math.  If I remember correctly the Alpha is designed for
Workstation/CAD use.... i.e. HEAVY mathematics... Vector Graphics are
nasty little things....