[rc5] RC5 Chips?

Sean McPherson sean at ntr.net
Fri Oct 31 18:49:42 EST 1997

Yep, the idea was actually the basis for several papers that were
published right after the DES standards were being set; even then, people
thought they were too easy to defeat. A little scrounging on altavista
will probably turn them up. I do recall that if you could sink a few tens
of millions of dollars into the project, you could burn enough ASIC chips
to crack 40 bit keys in less than a second, and if the machine was
operated 24/7 it would be able to continuously crack keys based on 56 bit
des in 38 seconds all day every day. I'll see if I don't have a few of
them stored away in postscript somewhere.

Sean McPherson
sean at ntr.net
Network Operations Technician
Information Systems