FPGAs and distributed computing (Was: Re: [rc5] RC5 Chips?)

Dave Zarzycki zarzycki at ricochet.net
Fri Oct 31 21:12:26 EST 1997

On 10/31/97 7:40 PM, Ryan Dumperth (woodie at indy.net) wrote:

>http://www-inst.eecs.berkeley.edu/~barrel/rc5.html

Yea!

Okay, distributed computing is not going away as far as I can tell. Let's
make the best of it! :-) I'll willing to chip in a few bucks to buy a
FPGA card and let distributed.net have 100% access to it. By doing that,
v3 clients could report that a FPGA was available, get the corresponding
code, and have at it. In another way, it's great for distributed.net in
the sense that it shows commitment. It also shows distributed.net that a
client might be more trusted when it comes to computing a result *and
returning it* the servers (perhaps in a timely manor too)... Future
projects might heavily benefit from FPGAs too.

davez

Dave Zarzycki                                Student
Intern                                       San Jose State University
Apple Computer, Inc.                         dzarzyck at email.sjsu.edu
zarzycki at apple.com                           zarzycki at ricochet.net