[RC5] My contribution to RC5

R. Kelley Cook kcook at ibm.net
Fri Apr 3 10:04:58 EST 1998

On Tue, 31 Mar 1998 23:45:33 -0400 (EDT), Ed Wensell III aka THE
StormRaiser wrote:

>Before this gets any more out of hand... I was probably wrong on a couple
>points concerning the stats. I guess the precision on my volcabulary isn't up
>to par. Yes, every key has equal chance of being chosen to encode a message,
>but if several series of tests were run (sorta like during everyday
>use), one would find that more of the keys towards the middle of the pool would
>TEND to be used more than the ones near the ends... I think another poster
>explained that more eloquently...

Not true.  There is NO bell curve.

What you are saying is that if you rolled die a bunch of times, you
would tend to get a 3 which is ludicrous.

Now what *is* true is that the average location of the key found (after
numerous runs) will be at the middle, but this is the same as saying
the average of the numbers 0-10 is 5.  It means nothing.

 -- Kelley Cook
To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net