[RC5] Moore's law and completion time

John Campbell jcampbel at lynn.ci-n.com
Fri Apr 3 21:27:12 EST 1998

On 3 Apr 1998, Dave Marquardt wrote:

> "Greg Ackerson" <ackerson_ga at nns.com> writes:
> > Rate increases: 41.41% per year (Moore's law, JICYW, states computer
> > processing power on average doubles every 2 years. This has held true
> > for at least the past 10 years.)
>
> I encounter many people who say processing power doubles every 18
> months.  So which did Moore say?  I think 18 months seems to be close
> to reality....

	The original Moore's Law was that processing power (actually circuit
density, but it amounts to much the same thing) doubles every two years. He
said it back in the late 60s, and it held true up until the late 70s/early
80s, at which point the doubling interval decreased to 18 months, where it's
been holding steady ever since.

---
John Campbell
jcampbel at lynn.ci-n.com