[RC5] New 400 GUI client for Win95 doesn't keep autostart settings

Karl G - NOC Admin ovrneith at tqgnet.com
Fri Apr 3 23:14:38 EST 1998

On Fri, 3 Apr 1998, Dan Sugalski wrote:

> Well, I upgraded the GUI client on my Win95 machine here, and came across a
> little gotcha in the new version.
>
> The client I was using (the last GUI release) was set to autostart. I
> installed the new one and checked--it too was set to autostart. However,
> after I rebooted, the client did *not* autostart. After firing it up
> manually, I noticed that the "Automatically launch client as startup
> service" box was checked with a grayed-out checkmark. I had to uncheck and
> re-check the box to get a solid check in there.
>
> Dunno if it'll autostart now, since it'll probably be a while before I
> reboot, but I figured a warnng was in order--if it bit me, it likely is
> going to bite someone else.

you might try a dos prompt command like "rc5desgui -install"

you can also verify by running regedit and search for rc5desgui.  it
should be in the
/HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Run and
/HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/RunServices
key.... look for the "bovwin32" value... if it isn't there and you feel
lucky, you can try adding a string value with the above name and the full
path command line of the binary..
ex: C:\Program Files\distributed.net\rc5desgui.exe -run

if you feel REALLY lucky you can even try adding your own command line
switches like -runoffline; since there isn't a value in the ini file for
that switch.  ONLY, if you feel "worthy" tho.  you can seriously futz up
windows with the registry editor... and there is no such thing as "undo"
or "revert"  in regedit. :)

hell.... for you first grade lamers out there... just add it to the
Startup group. ;)

  Karl Grindley
  ICQ: 2660211
  Network Administrator