[RC5] Moore's law and completion time

Justin Cave jocave at MIT.EDU
Fri Apr 3 20:34:23 EST 1998

At 08:02 AM 4/3/98 -0600, Dave Marquardt wrote

| I encounter many people who say processing power doubles every 18
| months.  So which did Moore say?  I think 18 months seems to be close
| to reality....

Part of the confusion stems from the fact that Moore and others are
constantly revising the statement to keep it in line with industry
projections.  At various points, the doubling time has been given as
12 months, 12-18 months, 18 months, and most recently 18-24 months.

Moore's original statement was that "transistor density on a
manufactured die [will double] every year".

Justin Cave                        290 Massachusetts Ave
jocave at mit.edu                     Cambridge, MA 02139
http://mental-pygmie.mit.edu       (617) 225-9132
To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net