[RC5] Block sizes (nkeys)

Justin Cave jocave at MIT.EDU
Sat Apr 4 17:41:43 EST 1998

At 11:36 AM 4/4/98 +0000, Robert Morrison wrote

| Hello --
|
| Why are the blocks run by my client varying in size ("size" referring
| to number of keys)?

When you have a "preferred" size of 30, the proxies will try to give
you 2^30 key blocks, but may, for whatever reason, give you smaller
blocks (3*2^28 blocks, 2^29 blocks, or 2^28 blocks).  That's why it's
a "preferred", not a "required" size.

| The reason it matters is that I'm on a dialup connection and I don't
| like to let my client go to running random blocks (since that causes
| the keyrate to go down by 50%). So when I'm dialed out, I have to
decide
| whether I've got enough blocks for the next 24 hours; if not, I halt
| the client, run -flush, run -fetch, and then re-start it. But if I
don't
| have a consistent blocksize, I never know if I've got enough blocks
for
| 24 hours. For example, here are the times associated with the list of
| blocks above:

Is it possible for you to increase your buffer size?  If you keep
75-100 blocks on hand at any one time, it won't matter what the
distribution of blocks you get is.

Justin Cave                        290 Massachusetts Ave
jocave at mit.edu                     Cambridge, MA 02139
http://mental-pygmie.mit.edu       (617) 225-9132
To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net