[RC5] Paranoia

Ryan Schmidt berrytech at bigfoot.com
Sat Apr 4 16:56:39 EST 1998

>When Jo Hermans won the RC5-56, he said that Nugget announced it to him by
>phoning him in the middle of the night. I sure do wonder how did he know his
>phone number - d.net isn't asking them from the rest of the participants.

Who knows if that's really what occurred. And perhaps Mr. Hermans had given
Nugget his number in a previous message and simply forgot. In any case, you
can't change it. Live with it.

>Furthermore, all of this anonimity thing about who won DES II - there is
>something weird about it too. First, on the IRC channel people are told that
>it's a P90 that has found the correct key. Later, they announce that the
>lucky CPU was an Alpha. Weird, huh?

Nothing weird about misinformation. Happens all the time.

>I am not saying that d.net is deliberately trying to pull some schemes. But,
>what if there is a situation that a computer mistake has happened and d.net
>just doesn't know who found the correct key? The thing that the winner wants
>to remain anonymous is a perfect cover-up.

Please stop giving the poor guy crap about wanting to remain anonymous. Plenty
of legitimate reasons for that. The agreement at the time did not require you
to reveal your name if your computer found the correct key, so there's nothing
the matter here. And I think proposing that d.net screwed up and doesn't want
to admit it is preposterous.

>But, on the other hand, am I paranoid or what?

You are paranoid. Please stop.
To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net