[RC5] My contribution to RC5

Ganesh Sittampalam ganesh.sittampalam at magd.ox.ac.uk
Mon Apr 6 00:44:15 EDT 1998

> > If I wanted to send something secret, then as the final stage before encrypting
> > it, I would compress it into some format with no header information whatsoever.
> > How would you handle cracking that efficiently?
>
> I would find out what compression alogrithim you used, then attempt to
> decompress after decrypting it.  Note, BTW, that most compression formats
> include a CRC, so that would make the attacker's job easyer, not harder.
> Note also that PGP does this.

That's why I said no header information - I would also leave out CRC data.
Someone has suggested arithmetic compression to me - something which
produces *no* recognisable streams of bits.

My point is that this makes the job of checking decrpyted data much much
harder so the cost of key cracking is increased by a large factor.

Ganesh
To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net