[RC5] It will not work [was : Linux ...]

Travis Siegel tsiegel at softcon.com
Mon Apr 6 11:08:54 EDT 1998

Ok.  Since there's so much being said about how to make the rc5 clients
run on linux, I'll tell what I'm doing here.  When my system reboots, I
log in as my normal user self, and then at my ~/rc5 prompt, I do nothing
more than type;
rc5des &
(don't forget the ampersand symbol)
and guess what? It works.  When I log out, it continues to work.  I could
of course put this command in my /etc/rc.d/rc.local file, but I kind of
like restarting it by hand.  This method has worked on every single system
I've ever run rc5 on that was a unix based variant.  And if I don't want
any percents output, it's easy enough to set the appropriate option in the
ini file, and I'm done with it.  Plain, simple, and easy.  After I log out
for the first time after starting the client, I no longer get any output
to my screen about the program or what it's doing, but a quick check of
the log file (using tail) tells me all I need to know about it's status.
I hope this helps someone.  Of course, this method won't work if you or
your sysadmin has installed a program that kills *all* processes after a
person logs out, but that's only a small percentage of systems I'd think.
To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net