[RC5] problems?

Peter Hugosson-Miller pehu at im.se
Tue Apr 7 17:08:09 EDT 1998

On Fri, 3 Apr 1998, Karl G - NOC Admin wrote:

>Seems that one of the clients i am running seems to be having
trouble....
>it constantly appends "Checkpoint Buffer Error" to the logfile.... any
>ideas what would be causing this? the box is a i486 running Linux. It
>appears to still be doing what it is supposed to... it is giving status

>messages for each block it finishes... ideas?

Hi Karl!

I had that problem before, when I installed the client on a friend's PC
(running OS/2 FWIW). Turned out I had specified the path to the
checkpoint file incorrectly, misspelled the directory or something.

Look for the lines in your ini-file that look something like this
(please translate to *NIX format):

checkpointfile=C:\Apps\Rc5desPM\ckpoint.rc5
checkpointfile2=C:\Apps\Rc5desPM\ckpoint.des

...and make sure the path to the files you have specified really exists.
I don't think this is a fatal error, just means that the client can't
use checkpoint files, and you will lose two blocks if your machine
crashes (unlikely under Linux, but not impossible).

--
Best regards,

Peter Hugosson-Miller

Send some money to distributed.net today. Visit EyeGive:
http://www.eyegive.com/html/ssi.cfm?CID=1098&email=hugge@bigfoot.com
Just visiting does good and telling your friends makes it meaningful
"Win3.1? For fast relief call 800-3-IBM-OS2."