[RC5] Really useful feature request

gindrup at okway.okstate.edu gindrup at okway.okstate.edu
Tue Apr 7 11:14:21 EDT 1998

     You don't have to stop the client to do what I suggested, it's just
     prudent.  Of course, I assumed that you were using checkpointing
     files, if you aren't then my solution won't help you.  All my
     solution comes down to is noting that there are two ports into which
     the client reads buff-in files.

     It is always prudent to stop the client when shuffling files.

     A coding solution for this strikes me as a step in the direction of
     feeping creaturism.  The problem is not hard to solve using tools
     already available (around the house).

     An elegant solution for this problem on *ix machines would be to
     replace the buff-in with a FIFO that (sequentially) multiplexes
     however many buff-in files you chose to have.  Have it share a
     memory segment (indicating file boundaries) with a FIFO at the
     buff-out and you could have the buff-outs match the buff-ins.

     This doesn't do much for non-*ix machines (except possibly OS/2,
     BeOS, AmigaOS, and MacOS).  So the MS OSes don't have this elegant
     solution available to them.

     Still, since the client already sequentially multiplexes from the
     checkpoint and buff-in files, I don't see that there's a problem.
     It also seems to be robust under the sudden removal of the buff-out.
            -- Eric Gindrup ! gindrup at okway.okstate.edu