[RC5] Really useful feature request

Peter Hugosson-Miller pehu at im.se
Wed Apr 8 18:53:56 EDT 1998

On Tue, 07 Apr 98, Eric Gindrup wrote:

>You don't have to stop the client to do what I suggested, it's
>just prudent. Of course, I assumed that you were using
>checkpointing files, if you aren't then my solution won't help
>you.

You're absolutely right, Eric, I realize that now. Of course you
don't get the pure FIFO effect that my solution gives, but it's
a good second place workaround. BTW, do you know if it's possible
to start a new instance of the NT service client from the command
line, when there is already one running?

>It is always prudent to stop the client when shuffling files.

Exactly, which was one of the main reasons prompting me to come
up with the idea in the first place.

>A coding solution for this strikes me as a step in the
>direction of feeping creaturism.

Not really. All the code to implement my idea is already present
in the existing client. See my post "RUFR implementation".

--
Best regards,

Peter Hugosson-Miller

Send some money to distributed.net today. Visit EyeGive:
http://www.eyegive.com/html/ssi.cfm?CID=1098&email=hugge@bigfoot.com
Just visiting does good and telling your friends makes it meaningful
"Windows NT: From the makers of Windows 3.0!"

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net