[RC5] Client rewriting old .ini settings

R. Kelley Cook kcook at ibm.net
Wed Apr 8 12:38:48 EDT 1998

On Wed, 08 Apr 98 13:50:35 +1200, dan carter wrote:

>So i changed my .ini to read "threshold=70:70"(2^30), but everytime i check
>it is set back to 50:50.
>
>Is this caused by one of the clients?
>In particular, one machine is running the OS/2 CLI client build 400.
>This has been running for 492h43m31.62s, so it would have been started
>with the old 50:50 settings.
>
>If this is caused by the client periodically recieving the 'contested ended'
>or 'new random keyspace' type messages, is it possible to have it only change the >appropriate line, rather than rewrite the whole thing with what it thinks all
>the other settings should be?

A) Stop all of the clients before changing the .ini files

B) There may be uniquely named .ini files for each version of the
client.  For example, the OS/2 CLI client uses rc5des.ini, the GUI
client uses RC5DESPM.INI.  It is possible to force all of them to share
of course by specifying "rc5des -ini INIFILE.INI" where INIFILE.INI is
the name of the .ini file you are using.  Personally, I would make a
separate .ini file for each client  No reason to share them and they
take less than 1K apiece.

C) Why are you running at 70:70?  Why not 200:50 which would make a lot
more sense for three machines, IMO.  That way in case you happen not to
connect to the net for a period of time, your computers you minimize
the risk the chance of running out of buffers to process, yet it still
will update your stats in a timely manner.

 -- Kelley

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net