[RC5] Dupes

Michael Larocque mlarocque at shaw.wave.ca
Thu Apr 9 15:30:03 EDT 1998

On Thu, 9 Apr 1998, Peter A. DeNitto wrote:

> Well, people have been doing alot of duping this past week...
> And 95% of 'em are done w/o the knowledge of the people doing them, it's
> because they're running old clients or old proxies...etc.

<snip>

> I hope this tells everyone that there are reasons and benefits to
> upgrading ^_-

I wholeheartedly agree with this sentiment, however... :)

With respect to the dupes, are (m)any of them from the 'random'
subspaces? The reason I ask is that about a week ago I found that my
perproxy (the latest :) had been handing out blocks from the random
subspaces. It had received several thousand 'random' blocks from
one or more main keyservers. As a result my 'official' processed
blocks for a few days were far below what they should have been
as I had been processesing large linear stretches of 'random' keyspace,
many blocks of which had been processed previously by other clients
working in 'random' mode.

I noted this phenomenon in a message to this list, but didn't
see any reply (official or no).

I have the logs (perproxy and client) of this phenomenon, if anyone
official wants to take a look.

Mike

<*> Michael Larocque - mlarocque at shaw.wave.ca <*>
An idle CPU is a terrible thing to waste - www.distributed.net