[RC5] Statistics of Key Distribution

Joe Zbiciak j-zbiciak1 at ti.com
Wed Apr 15 13:29:11 EDT 1998

'gindrup at okway.okstate.edu' said previously:

|      Well...  Actually...  The Normal Distribution is what you get in the
|      limit of infinite numbers of dice.  It's convenient however that the
|      sequence of distributions converges somewhat rapidly to its limit.
|
|      This result is called the "Central Limit Theorem".
[...]
|      What this has to do with Distributed Computing, Cracking, RC5, DES,
|      programming, UI issues, or DCTI is entirely beyond me.

Random factoid which may make this (only very slightly) relevant to
cryptography:

It is this theorem which highlights why checksums based just on adding
together a series of numbers (esp. modulo a large accumulator size) don't
work nearly as well as a stronger hashing function such as a CRC or a
cryptographically strong hash such as RMD-160 or MD5.

Regards,

--Joe

--
 +----------- Joseph Zbiciak ----------+