[RC5] Porting to Handhelds/Printers

James Mastros root at jennifer-unix.dyn.ml.org
Thu Apr 16 21:00:51 EDT 1998

On Thu, 16 Apr 1998 Thomas Frase at mail.uni-kiel.d400.de wrote:
> On 22 Mar 98 at 1:10, Lorenzo Gonzalez wrote:
> > I'd like to see a client for laser printers.  Some of those have
> > some pretty formidable vector processing hardware, there's a VERY
> > idle AMD29040 in the Xante' on my desk, and it speaks fluent
> > PostScript.  So do the very bored cpus in my LaserJet 4M, my
> > LaserWriter 4/600, and my DesignJet 750CM.  All are 32-bit RISC
> > processors (lot's of i860/i960 in laser printers, I believe).  All
> > are connected to internet-capable desktops.
>
> This idea sounds interesting to me. Does anyone know if it is
> possible to use these cpus and if it is worth the programming effort?
>
> Thomas Frase

Also, does anybody know if you can send native code over, or if you have
to replace a ROM?  If you can't send over native code, it might pay for us
to write a PostScript client.  (I don't know, however, how we would
communicate the blocks back.  Ther'er a bit volumnious to print out and
mail.  <G>)

	-=- James Mastros

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net